Analytical Art Essay
1. What are analytical art essays?
An analytical art essay assignment requires a deep understanding of one or more pieces of artwork. This assignment asks the writer to:
· Identify a question or issue related to one or more pieces of art
· Critically examine and describe the art
· Apply theories and scholars’ ideas to the art
· Understand relationships between these pieces of information
· Combine this information from many sources to use as evidence to support your claims
· Reach a final conclusion regarding the question or issue
Art analysis requires more than a description of a piece of art. Rather, it aims to uncover the why and/or how of the piece of art. When writing an analytical art essay, you may need to do the following:
EWRite is an open access online literacy platform for PolyU community that has two major objectives:
This platform provides access to generic genre guides representing typical university assignments as well as links to subjects offered by faculties with specific disciplinary genres and relevant support materials.
The materials can be retrieved by students by choosing the genres that interest them on the landing page. Each set of materials includes a genre guide, genre video, and a genre checklist. The genre guide and video are to summarize the genres in two different ways (i.e. textual and dynamic) to fit different learning styles. The genre checklist is for students to self-regulate their writing process. The genre guide and checklist include links to various ELC resources that can provide further explanation to language items (e.g. hedging and academic vocabulary).
The platform also acts as a one-stop-shop for writing resources for students, language teachers and subject leaders. Information about the English Writing Requirement policy can also be found on this platform. There are training materials for new colleagues joining the EWR Liaison Team.